Fantasy (Young Adult)
YA Bell, Hilari The Last Knight
- Fisk is poor but street-wise; Sir Michael is rich but a knight in a time without them. Watch them try not to kill each other or be killed as they try to rescue Lady Ceciel.
YA Berry, Julie Secondhand Charm
- On her way to the university to become a physician, Evie has a series of adventures and learns of her Serpentia heritage, her magical powers, and the secret of the gypsy charm she wears around her neck.
YA Black, Holly The Darkest Part of the Forest
- The town of Fairfold lives in uneasy truce with the fae in the forest. The townspeople learn early how to protect themselves, but tourists aren't so lucky. At the heart of the forest, a young man with horns and pointed ears sleeps in a glass coffin. When the coffin is broken and the boy disappears, siblings Ben and Hazel must race to find him and save the town.
YA/YA PB Black, Holly White Cat
- The circumstances surrounding Lila’s death are somewhat foggy in Cassel’s mind. All he remembers is that he killed her. But when a mysterious white cat enters his life, he learns that his curse-worker brothers have manipulated his memories, and that his own latent talents are even more powerful than theirs. He must use this power to control his family. The story continues in The Red Glove.
YA/YA PB Black, Jenna Glimmerglass
- Frustrated with her alcoholic human mother, Dana travels to Avalon to find her faerie father. But her father’s life is more complicated than Dana realized, and she soon gets swept up in faerie politics, kidnappings, and assassination attempts. She also must determine if her new friend Ethan is just the bad-boy that he seems to be, or if he really has feelings for her. The story continues in Shadowspell and Sirensong
YA Booraem, Ellen The Unnameables
- Only useful things have names on the Island. Medford's world is turned upside-down by the goatman who challenges all the rules.
YA Bracken, Alexandra Brightly Woven
- An attractive wizard has information that could prevent an impending war, and he chooses Sydelle, the weaver, to guide him to the capital city. Through their dangerous journey, a romance begins to develop.
YA Cabot, Meg Jinx
- Jinx's bad luck got her booted from Iowa, but it may stop her cousin's black magic.
YA Carson, RaeThe Girl of Fire and Thorns
- Elisa is the Chosen One. But she despairs of being able to ever do anything remarkable. Just sixteen years old, she finds herself married off to a handsome king who keeps their marriage a secret while a daring revolutionary hunts her, believing she is the savior his people need. First book in a trilogy.
YA/YA PB Cashore, Kristin Graceling
- In a world where certain individuals have unique talents, or Graces, Katsa struggles to overcome her killing Grace by joining another fighter to free their world from corruption.
YA/YA PB Cashore, Kristin Fire
- Fire, the last human monster, is determined to use her powers of mind-control only for good. When the ruling family seeks her protection from usurpers, she finds herself wrapped up in a net of political intrigue and conflicted in her affection for her lover, Archer, and her new attraction to Prince Brigan. Prequel to Graceling.
YA Caveney, Philip Sebastian Darke: Prince of Fools
- Sebastian's a terrible court jester and his buffalope is a terrible coward, but these two may be the only ones to save Princess Kerin and stop her evil father. Hilarious!
YA Chima, Cinda Williams The Warrior Heir
- Jack's not just some kid, he's the last of Weirland warriors and now he has to fight to the death.
YA/YA PB Clare, Cassandra City of Bones
- Clary's sudden ability to see demons might hold a clue to her mother's disappearance.
YA/YA PB Colfer, Eoin Artemis Fowl
- When 12-year-old millionaire genius Artemis Fowl decides to kidnap a fairy to restore his family's fortunes, he gets more than he bargains for. These aren't the sweet, pretty fairies from stories. They come armed and dangerous - and with trolls. First in a series.
YA Dolamore, Jaclyn Magic Under Glass
- When Nimira begins working for a young sorcerer, she discovers that his piano-playing automaton servant is actually a fairy prince, held captive in the metal body. As she begins to fall in love with him, Nimira searches for a way to set her prince free.
YA Fforde, Jasper The Last Dragonslayer
- In a time of fading magic, foundling Jennifer Strange runs Kazam, a magical employment agency full of has-been wizards. When seers begin having visions predicting the slaying of the last dragon, Jennifer find herself caught up in major changes that herald the arrival of something called Big Magic. First in a series.
YA Fisher, Catherine Incarceron
- Finn can barely remember his life before his imprisonment in Incarceron, a living prison which drives its inhabitants into a feral, war-like state. When Finn meets Claudia, the Warden’s daughter who wants to avoid an arranged marriage, the two begin to plot their escape. The story continues in Sapphique
YA/YA PB Funke, Cornelia Reckless
- When he was twelve, Jacob discovered a magic mirror in his father’s study and began his journeys to the Mirrorworld, an alternate reality full of faeries and war-like, stone Goyls. But years later, his younger brother travels through the mirror and is wounded by a Goyl claw, and Jacob must race to find a cure before his brother turns to stone.
YA Harrison, Mette Ivie The Princess and the Hound
- He's a prince who talks to animals, she's a princess who only has a dog for a friend. Can they fall in love and save their kingdoms?
YA Jobin, Matthew The Nethergrim
- The Nethergrim is a thing of legend, a horrible evil defeated by the knight Tristan and the wizard Vithric. But when livestock are reduced to piles of bones, and children begin disappearing, it becomes clear The Nethergrim is back. After his brother goes missing, Edmund sets out with his friends to face this ancient evil.
YA Johnston, E.K.The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim
- Lend your ears as the bard sings the story of Owen, last in a line of renowned dragon slayers. He may be hopeless at algebra, but he is valiant at heart. When Owen picks up his sword to defend the town of Trondheim, he will face impossible odds, and only Siobhan McQuaid, his bard, knows the whole story.
YA Jones, Frewin The Faerie Path
- Turns out Anita isn't a normal teen from London, she's the lost daughter of the king and queen of the faerie's. Can she forget her old life and save the faerie world?
YA Kittredge, Caitlin The Iron Thorn
- Aoife is just a few weeks away from her sixteenth birthday, the age when everyone in her family catches the “madness.” But after finding a cryptic note from her older brother, she stumbles into the Land of Thorn, the magical world her mother and brother described in their ravings. Along with her friend Cal and an intriguingly dangerous underworld boy, Dean, she embarks on a quest to save her brother.
YA LaFevers, Robing Grave Mercy
- Fleeing a brutal, arranged marriage, Ismae finds safety at the convent of St. Mortain where the sisters serve the god of Death himself. If Ismae stays at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin, a handmaiden of death. But can she deliver vengeance when her assigned target has stolen her heart?
YA/YA PB Landy, Derek Skulduggery Pleasant
- Stephanie's only 12, but she's inherited her uncle's estate and his evil-fighting skeleton. Title changed to Scepter of the Ancients in the newest edition.
YA Lu, Marie The Young Elites
- Adelina is a malfetto, a survivor of a deadly fever epidemic that left survivors marked. Rumor has it some malfetto also gained powerful gifts. Adelina is one of them. She must learn to harness her powers, and the darkness within herself, if she wants to become one of the Young Elites.
YA MacHale, D.J. Morpheus Road: The Light
- When Marshall drew the ghoulish figure of “the Gravedigger,” he never expected it to come out of the page and haunt him. Now people are disappearing, including Marshall’s best friend Cooper, and some of them have died violent deaths. Marshall must figure out what is happening and find Cooper—if it’s not already too late! The story continues in Morpheus Road: The Black.
YA/YA PB Marchetta, Melina Finnikin of the Rock
- A decade after the royal family was assassinated, the kingdom of Lumatere is still waiting for the return of the lost heir to the throne, Balthazar, who will break the magical barrier that has isolated the kingdom. When Finnikin, a childhood friend of Balthazar, meets a girl who has visions of the heir’s triumphant return, they join forces to restore the kingdom.
YA McKinley, Robin Pegasus
- When Sylvi joins in the traditional ritual bond with her Pegasus, Ebon, she discovers that they can communicate telepathically. But as Ebon allows her unconventional privileges, such as riding on his back, the break from tradition threatens the peaceful alliance of humans and Pegasi.
YA McKinley, Robin Dragonhaven
- While camping in his father's controversial dragon preserve, Jake finds a poacher killed by a dragon and an orphan dragon. What he does with the information could ruin his dad.
YA Murdock, Catherine Gilbert Princess Ben
- Orphaned by assassins, Princess Ben is secretly learns magic while locked away in a tower for refusing to marry. It's her stubbornness and magic that might save her kingdom from invaders.
YA/YA PB Nix, Garth Sabriel
- Sabriel, a child of the Old Kingdom, has been raised outside its walls, away from its Free Magic and Dead who refuse to stay dead. Her father, the Abhorsen, protects that kingdom. But now he is missing, and Sabriel must travel deep into the Old Kingdom to battle an unspeakable evil. If she is to prevail, she must face and master the magic that is her hidden destiny.
YA Oppel, Kenneth This Dark Endeavor
- In this prequel to Mary Shelley's classic Frankenstein, Victor Frankenstein's journey to darkness is sparked by the best of intentions - a desire to save his terminally ill twin brother, Konrad. But Victor's search for the forbidden Elixir of Life will prove a treacherous quest that will push the boundaries between good and evil.
YA Pierce, Tamora Melting Stones
- Ewy hasn't been a mage for long, but she holds the clue that will save the island of Starns from a dormant volcano.
YA Riggs, Ransom Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
- After the brutal death of his grandfather, Jacob travels to a remote island to locate the orphanage where his grandfather lived to escape Nazi persecution in World War II . . . and discovers a group of very unusual children from his grandfather's stories.
YA/YA PB Scott, Michael The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
- Twins Sophie and Josh's quiet summer explodes when they are thrust into the battle for the secret formula for immortality and forced to master their new, and different talents.
YA Springer, Nancy Dusssie
- Dusie wakes up to a head full of snakes and a family curse. Puberty = not cool.
YA Stiefvater, Maggie The Raven Boys
- Blue has always kept her distance from the Raven Boys of Aglionby Academy. But she finds herself breaking her own rule as she is drawn into Gansy's quest for the tomb of a legendary Welsh king. She never thought the prediction that she would kill her true love would matter. She's not so sure anymore.
YA Stroud, Jonathan Heroes of the Valley
- Halli's practical joke gone wrong sends him on an epic quest.
YA/YA PB Stroud, Jonathan The Ring of Solomon
- In 950 B.C.E., the djinni Bartimaeus has been assigned to a cruel human master. When meets Asmira, a young assassin whose target is none other than King Solomon, they become entangled in a plot to steal Solomon’s powerful magic ring. Read about Bartimaeus' further adventures in the Bartimeus trilogy. The first book is The Amulet of Samarkand
YA Taylor, Laini Daughter of Smoke and Bone
- Karou is a young art student in Prague whose sketchbooks are filled with monsters that may or may not be real. There is a devil who collects human teeth and winged men coming from a slit in the sky. But who is good and who is evil? And who is the mysterious Akheva? What secrets to Karou's past does he hold?
- Kit Bristol never meant to become a highwayman. He was just trying to get help for his mortally wounded master. He didn't sign on to rescue a feisty fairy princess. But when he put on his master's cloak, Kit also took on his magical obligations, complete with goblings and a map that shows his future - as a hanged man.
YA Valente, Catherynne M. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
- After accepting an invitation from the Green Wind, September finds herself in Fairyland. She quickly befriends some magical creatures and just as soon needs to complete a quest in order to rescue them from the hands of a wicked Marquess.
YA Vande Velde, Vivian Stolen
- Is the teen found in the woods really Isabelle, stolen by a witch six years earlier?
YA Walton, Leslye J. The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender
- Ava Lavender is a normal girl, except for one thing. She was born with the wings of a bird. She remains naive and sheltered until she is mistaken for an angel by Nathaniel Sorrows. His obsession with her will build to heartbreaking climax on a night of rain and feathers. This lyrical story will appeal to fans of magical realism.
YA Winters, Cat In the Shadow of Blackbirds
- This book is set during the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, when desperate family members sought solace by trying to contact the spirits of loved ones lost to the flu or the horrors of World War I. Spirit photographers and psychics flourished. Mary Shelley Black never believed in ghosts, until the spirit of her first love, a boy who died in battle, contact her. If only she could understand what he wants from her.
YA Yovanoff, Brenna The Replacement
- Mackie knows that he is a changeling, a fragile non-human creature that the faeries left behind when they stole his parents’ real baby as a human sacrifice. Unlike most replacements, Mackie has survived to his teenage years, and when the next human baby is stolen, Mackie is determined to challenge the faeries—despite his failing physical health—and rescue the little girl.