Science Fiction (Young Adult)
YA Albin, Jennifer Crewel
- Adelice has been hiding her ability to weave time with matter from the Guild for years until she slipped up during her assessment and used her talent. Now they knonw that she has the skill to actually manipulate the fabric of reality, and she will become a pawn for the powerful who want to control the world.
YA/YA PB Anderson, M.T. Feed
- It all started when Titus and his friends went to the moon for Spring Break. A crazy hacker shorted out everyone's fee, the constant stream of information linked directly to their brains. That was when he met Violet, a girl who prompts him to question how much control the feed has on his life. This book has one of the best opening lines in YA fiction.
YA/YA PB Bacigalupi, Paaolo Ship Breaker
- Nailer is a ship breaker, a scavenger who survives by harvesting parts from destroyed ships in a post-apocalyptic New Orleans that is battered by flooding and super storms. After a hurricane, he discovers a new shipwreck, and his decision to help the survivor will alter his life forever.
YA Bertagna, Julie Exodus
- Can Mara lead her people from the the floods of their homeland to the unknown sky cities?
YA Brashares, Ann The Here and Now
- Prenna immigrated to New York City with family and friends when she was twelve. She came not from another country, but from the future - a future where millions die in pandemics. Prenna has always followed the rules to stay separate and keep the group's secrets, until she falls for Ethan.
YA Brennan, Herbie The Shadow Project
- A young thief stumbles upon a government agency which spies on terrorists through out of body experiences.
YA Cabot, Meg Airhead
- Emmerson was a bookworm who knew nothing about fashion. Guess whose body she gets in a whole-body transplant? Only the world's most famous teen supermodel.
YA/YA PB Card, Orson Scott Pathfinder
- Rigg has an unusual power: the ability to see the pasts of people and animals around him. When his father mysteriously dies, he finds himself on a quest to discover the truth about his family and maybe save his planet.
YA Colfer, Eoin The Reluctant Assassin
- What happens when a reluctant assistant to a murderer gets sucked through a wormhole from Victorian London to the momdern-day city? To add to the confusion, Riley's former master follows him there. Now an evil genius is on the loose and after Riley and the young FBI agent who befriends him.
YA/YA PB Collins, Suzanne Hunger Games
- Katniss is chosen for the yearly televised gladiator struggle to the death. Can she survive and overthrow the dictatorship? (see some Readalikes)
YA/YA PB Condie, Ally Matched
- Cassia is excited to receive her government-assigned marriage Match. But when a glitch in the system assigns shows her two potential matches—her best friend, Xander, and the social outcast, Ky, she begins to doubt the perfect wisdom of the Society.
YA/YA PB Dashenr, James The Eye of Minds
- Conventional wisdom is that you need a hacker to catch a hacker. Michael is recruited to go off the grid to track down the gamer who is taking things too far and holding players hostage in the VirtNet. First in a series.
YA/YA PB Dashner, James The Maze Runner
- When boys end up in the Glade, they have no memory of who they are or how they got there. To survive they must lock themselves off from the attack of the half-human, half-machine monsters that prowl at night and try to crack the Maze, before it’s too late.
YA DeStefano, Lauren Wither
- Rhine’s world is infected by a virus that causes all women to die at age 20 and all men to die at age 25. When she is kidnapped at age 16 and married to 20-year-old Linden, Rhine must fight desperately for her freedom.
YA/YA PB Doctorow, Cory Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
- High school hacker Marcus turns his free gaming system into X-net to fight the excesses of Homeland Security after the bombing of the Bay Bridge.
YA Ford, Michael Thomas Z by Michael Thomas Ford
- The zombie plague ended fifteen years ago, and now all of the zombies are trapped in the video game world. But when Josh gets mixed up in a live-action gaming society he begins to suspect that the zombies in real life are not just a game.
YA Fukui, Isamu Truancy
- Tack is torn between joining the students in the Truancy against the super-controlling Mayor, but a Truant kills someone he loves. The author wrote this when he was 15.
YA Gill, David Macinnis Black Hole Sun
- Jake Durango must defend a colony of space miners on Mars from the vicious attack of the Drau, aliens who feast on human flesh.
YA Goodman, Allegra The Other Side of the Island
- Earth Mother is the corporation that makes everything perfect on Honor's island, but it also took away her trouble-maker parents. Can two teens overthrow it?
YA/YA PB Grant, Michael Gone
- Everyone over 14 has disappeared and now it's public school kids v. private school, regular v. supernatural.
YA Hautman, Pete Rash
- Bo's accused of spreading a rash at school and sent to a work in a pizza factory in the tundra. His computer program, Bork, wants to free him, but can Bork be trusted? And does Bo want to go back to his highly-regulated old life?
YA Kinch, Michael P. The Blending Time
- By mandate of the Global Government of the late 21st century, seventeen-year-olds Jaym, Reya, and D’Shay have been sent to Africa to mate with a population which was sterilized by a solar flare. Once they arrive, civil war separates them and they must fight for their lives.
YA Klass, David Stuck On Earth
- Ketchvar the alien inhabits the body of fourteen-year-old Tom in order to observe the human race and decide whether or not to destroy them.
YA Lu, Marie Legend
- June is a wealthy prodigy, destined for greatness in the Republic's military. Day is the most-wanted criminal who has been accused of murdering her brother. But as june investigates she discovers the government is hiding some sinister secrets. First in a trilogy.
YA Malley, Gemma The Declaration
- Children aren't needed when no one dies, but Anna's parents broke the rules. Should she break out of her dorm/prison and find them or keep her head down?
YA/YA PB Meyer, Marissa Cinder
- Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg living in New Beijing with her stepmother and sisters. After meeting handsome Prince Kai, she gets swept into an intergalactic struggle for power that is somehow tied to the secrets in her past. This book is Cinderella re-imagined as a science fiction story. The series continues in Scarlet
YA Miller, Lauren Free to Fall
- In the near future, the phone app Lux will guide you to make all the right choices. But is it reflecting users' true preferences? Or is it being used to control people for more sinister reasons? For those who like their science fiction with a side of romance.
YA PB Ness, Patrick The Knife of Never Letting Go
- The Noise germ caused all the men and boys to hear each other's thoughts and killed all the women and children. So what is Todd to make of Viola and the secrets his town holds?
YA Oliver, Lauren Delirium
- The disease of “love” has finally been isolated and as soon as she turns eighteen, Lena can have the operation that will prevent her from contracting it. But 95 days before her birthday, the unthinkable happens: Lena falls in love, and she is no longer sure she wants the cure.
YA Patneaude, David Epitaph Road
- It is the year 2097 and a plague has wiped out 97% of the male population on Earth. When Kellen learns that the virus was caused by the women in power, he joins his father in an underground movement to overthrow the corrupt government.
YA/YA PB Pearson, Mary The Adoration of Jenna Fox
- When Jenna wakes up from a coma with no memory of her past life, everyone seems determined to shelter her from the details of her accident. Why are they so desperate to keep the details of her treatment secret?
YA Pfeffer, Susan Beth Life as We Knew it
- Miranda's journal describes how her family and town comes together and fall apart when the moon falls out of orbit and life as she knew it ends.
YA/YA PB Reeve, Philip Larklight
- A hilarious steampunk adventure with a traveling house, disguised aliens, a plot to kill the universe and a mom who is the universe.
YA Reichs, Kathy Virals
- Tory Brennan and her science geek friends discover something strange at the Loggerhead Research Institute. When they rescue a stray pup from the lab, they are exposed to a rare virus that mutates their DNA. Now they're more than friends, they are pack members. They are VIRALS.
YA/YA PB Revis, Beth;;;Across the Universe
- The lives of Amy, a colonis, and Elder, the ship Godspeed's designated next leader, intersect when she is mistakenly awakened from cryogenic sleep years too early. On a ship where every function is based on lies, her difference and his tendency to independent thought threaten both their lives. First in a trilogy.
YA/YA PB Roth, Veronica Divergent
- Everyone in Tris’s society is divided into five factions, each devoted to a specific virtue. Although Tris is born into the service faction of “Abegnation,” when she turns sixteen she has the chance to win her way into the reckless, fearless “Dauntless” faction. But as her initiation continues, Tris begins to wonder if she will ever truly belong.
YA/YA PB Sanderson Steelheart
- After Calamity, some people became Epics, supervillains with amazing powers. One of these, Steelheart, killed David's dad, and David wants revenge. He has a unique qualification, he's the only one who has seen the invincible Steelheart bleed. First in a trilogy.
- TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow
Liam, Maddy, and Sal were each rescued moments before a certain death to become TimeRiders, agents who protect the world from disasters caused by reckless time travelers. When a villain changes the outcome of WWII, the three teens must travel back to 9/10/2001 to correct history and protect the world from a horrifying future.
- Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Teens Connor, Ris, and Lev are traveling the country so they aren't unwound, having the body parts used by others.
- The Comet's Curse by Dom Testa
251 teens are blasted into space after all the adults on earth are killed by comet dust but one stowaway could spell the end of the human race.
- Num8ers by Rachel Ward
Jem has a problem: when she looks at people, she sees the date they will die. When she and her friend Spider are in the wrong place at the time of a terrorist attack, they find themselves on the run from the police, and Jem knows that Spider’s death date is steadily approaching. Followed by THE CHAOS.
- Skinned by Robin Wasserman
Lia is transplanted into a mechanical body.
- Generation Dead by Daniel Waters
Phoebe's just goth, but the new kids are "living impaired." Can't they all get along?
- Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
In this alternate history of WWI, the son of Archduke Franz Ferdinand escapes after his father’s assassination in a steam-powered war machine. Meanwhile a girl named Derwyn disguises herself as a boy and serves on a genetically engineered Allied ship. They must join forces to survive.