Manga Madness: It's Everywhere
Manga is an immensely popular format making it difficult to limit any list to a reasonable length. This list is a mix of JMRL Teen Librarians' personal favorites and big-name classic titles.
Manga is simply Japanese comics. Most English translations of the Japanese manga keep the original format of reading from right to left (backwards).
- YA PB Arakawa, Hiromu Fullmetal Alchemist (Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction)
- Brothers Edward and Alphonse battle evil while in pursuit of a Philosopher's Stone that may cure them of the results of an alchemic procedure that left one without an arm and a leg and the other trapped inside a suit of armor.
- YA PB Clamp Cardcaptor Sakura (Magical Girl, Fantasy, Romance)
- Sakura opens a book made by a magician, releasing cards that may cause evil unless she recaptures them. Cute and definitely appropriate for younger readers.
- YA PB Clamp xxxHolic
- Watanuki Kimihiro has always been able to see spirits. One day, he stumbles upon a mysterious shop that grants wishes. In order to pay back his wish, he is indentured to the proprietor, a witch of time and space. Supernatural adventures with many references to folklore ensue.
- YA PB Hatori, Bisco Ouran High School Host Club
- Haruhi, an intellectual, somewhat slovenly scholarship student at the most exclusive and elite high school in Japan, stumbles upon the host club, a student organization of pretty boys who entertain a mostly female clientele during the afternoons. Whilst there, she breaks an expensive antique vase, and must work at the host club to pay it off. Over the course of paying it back, she is privy to the over-the-top lifestyle of the wealthy host club students, as well as many hilarious misadventures. Haruhi finds herself unable to relate to these aristocrats, but at the same time is drawn into their circle of friends.
- YA PB Kanari, Yozaburo The Kindaichi Case Files (Mystery - Volume 1: The Opera House Murders)
- YA PB Kishimoto, Masashi Naruto (Action, Adventure, Drama)
- The adventures of Naruto, who is in training to become the greatest ninja in Konohagakure.
- YA PB Kubo, Tite Bleach (Supernatural, Action, Adventure, Horror)
- Ichigo Kurosaki who has the powers of a Soul Reaper, takes on the task of protecting humans from evil spirits.
- YA PB Mashima, Hiro Fairy Tail (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy)
- Lucy leaves home to join Fairy Tail, a wizards' guild, teaming up with another wizard to embark on various missions and adventures.
- YA PB Mochizuki, Jun Pandora Hearts (Mystery, Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Psychological Thriller, Romance)
- At his coming-of-age ceremony, Oz is condemned to the Abyss for a sin he's unaware of, and with the help of a girl named Alice, he works to determine the truth about what has happened.
- YA PB Nakamura, Yoshiki Skip-Beat! (Romantic Comedy)
- When Kyoko follows Sho to Tokyo so he can succeed in the music business, her efforts to help him with his dream go unappreciated, until she begins to consider her own ambitions in the business.
- YA PB Oda, Eiichiro One Piece (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama)
- Monkey D. Luffy wants to become a pirate even though he can't swim and his body has the properties of rubber, but he teams up with a group of pirates for a series of swashbuckling adventures.
- YA PB Ohba, Tsugumi Death Note (Thriller, Mystery, Psychological, Supernatural)
- Genius Light Nagami finds a notebook known as Death Note, and when he discovers that anyone whose name is written in it will die, he develops a plan to destroy evil in the world. This is a darker series that may be more appropriate for older readers.
- YA PB Sakisaka, Io Strobe Edge (Romance)
- Ninako is torn between her feelings for Ren, the most popular boy in school, and her friend Daiki, who has developed romantic feelings for her. A YALSA Top Ten Great Graphic Novel for Teens.
- YA PB Takaya, Natsuki Fruits Basket (Romance, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy)
- Recently orphaned Tohru goes to live with the Sohma family in exchange for housekeeping duties, discovering that everyone in the family has the curse of turning into their zodiac animal when they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex.
- YA PB Toboso, Yana Black Butler (Supernatural, Action, Comedy, Mystery)
- While Sebastian serves as the butler for a young earl, he is also a demon helping him to get revenge on those who have wronged him. Another darker series with some graphic violence in parts.
Manhwa is the Korean word for Manga. This format reads from left to right like Western books.
- YA PB Na, Ye-Ri 50 Rules for Teenagers
- YA PB Yun, Mi-Kyung Bride of the Water God
ADV Films (2005). "ADV Manga"
Anime Broadcasting Network (2005). "Anime Web Turnpike"
Bandai America Inc. (2005). "Gundam Official"
BWI (2003). The Public Librarian's Guide to Graphic Novels]. DC Comics (2005). "CMX Manga"
Gorman, Michele (2003). Getting Graphic! Using Graphic Novels to Promote Literacy with Preteens and Teens
VIZ Media (2005). "Shonen Jump: The World's Most Popular Manga"
Tokyopop (2004). "Tokyopop Books"
VIZ Media (2005). "VIZ Manga"
YALSA (2005). "Get animated @ your library!" Young Adult Library Services 3(4): 32-38.
Manga Reviews on the Internet
Kat Kan, "Diamond Comics Bookshelf"
Gilles Poitras, "The Librarian's Guide to Anime and Manga"
D. Aviva Rothschild, "The Comics Get Serious: Graphic Novel Reviews"