Gadgets & Gizmos – Books for Young Adults about Invention and Creative Technology
Article in the Category:Themes category.
August is National Inventors' Month!
Books about Inventing and Ingenuity
- 101 Things You Wish You'd Invented...and Some You Wish No One Had, by Richard Horne and Tracey Turner
- Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius, by Bob Iannini
- The Evolution of Useful Things, by Henry Petroski
- Invention by Design: How Engineers Get from Thought to Thing, by Henry Petroski
- Inventions Necessity is Not the Mother Of: Patents Ridiculous and Sublime, by Stacy V. Jones
- Make Cool Gadgets for Your Room, by Amy Pinchuk
- Origin of Everyday Things, by Johnny Acton, Tania Adams and Matt Packer
- Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things, by Cy Tymony
- The New Way Things Work, by David Macaulay
Handbooks for Inventors (applying for patents, etc.) are found at 608.7.
Books about Inventors and Specific Technologies
- Codebreaker: the History of Codes and Ciphers, from the Ancient Pharaohs to Quantum Cryptography, by Stephen Pincock
- First Flight: the Wright Brothers and the Invention of the Airplane, by T.A. Heppenheimer
- iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon, by Steve Wozniak with Gina Smith
- The Man who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer, by David Leavitt
- Mothers of Invention, from the bra to the Bomb: Forgotten Women & their Unforgettable Ideas, by E. Vare and Greg Ptacek
- Feminine Ingenuity: Women and Invention in America by Anne Macdonald
- Black Inventors, by Nathan Aaseng
- Mr. Gatling's Terrible Marvel: the Gun that Changed Everything & the Misunderstood Genius who Invented it, by Julia Keller
- Nikola Tesla and the Taming of Electricity, by Lisa J. Aldrich
- Stealing God's Thunder: Benjamin Franklin's Lightning Rod & the Invention of America, by Philip Dray
- The Telephone Gambit: Chasing Alexander Graham Bell's Secret, by Seth Shulman
- Smartbomb: the Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution, by Heather Chaplin & Aaron Ruby
- Robot Building for Beginners, David Cook
- Robot Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Illustrated, by Paul E. Sandin.
and lots of other robot building books at 629.892.
Stories with Great Gadgets and Technology
- Feed, by MT Anderson
- Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow
- Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld (follow it up with Pretties, Specials, and Extras)
- Evil Genius, by Catherine Jinks (sequel: Genius Squad)
- Stormbreaker, by Anthony Horowitz (first in the Alex Rider series)
- Streams of Babel, by Carol Plum-Ucci
- Steel Trapp: The Challenge, by Ridley Pearson
- The Infinity Code, by E.L. Young (first in the STORM series)
- Airman, by Eoin Colfer (also try the Artemis Fowl series)
- Framed, by Malcolm Rose (first in the Traces series)
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick
- I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov
Like crazy contraptions?
- The Smithsonian's Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation, inside the National Museum of American History.
- Inventor's Digest
- United States Patent and Trademark Office and their education pages.