Difference between revisions of "Young Adult Books for Grades 6-7"
Revision as of 14:11, 19 August 2013
910.92 Armstrong, Jennifer Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World
- The true story of explorer Ernest Shackleton, who with his crew was stranded in the Antarctic ice pack in 1915 with no ship
and no way to contact the outside world.
YA/YA PB Brewer, Heather Eighth Grade Bites
- Vladimir Tod is the orphaned son of a vampire and a human, and when a new teacher seems to know a great deal about him, he wonders if his secret is about to be exposed. The first book in the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series.
YA Erskine, Kathryn The Absolute Value of Mike
- Mike spends the summer in Pennsylvania with some eccentric elderly relatives and becomes involved with others in town in a fundraising project to bring a romanian orphan to the U.S.
J/YA Hale, Shannon and Dean Rapunzel's Revenge
- In this graphic novel retelling of the Rapunzel legend, our heroine frees herself from the tower and uses her smarts (and her long, braided hair!) to battle the bad guys with a Wild West flair. Calamity Jack is a companion book about her compatriot with the golden goose and magic beans.
YA Hiaasen, Carl Flush
- When Noah's dad is imprisoned after sinking a floating casino, he and his sister look for evidence that the owner is emptying his waste tanks into the ocean.
YA/YTA PB Higson, Charlie Silverfin
- In this first book in the Young Bond series, the future Agent 007
has his first adventure at boarding school, when he takes part in a search to find a boy who disappeared while fishing at a Scottish loch.
910.45 McPherson, Stephanie S Iceberg Right Ahead: the Tragedy of the Titanic
- An illustrated account of the Titanic story, from its construction to its sinking in 1912, and the changes that came about as a result of the tragedy.
YA/YA PB Magoon, Kekla The Rock and the River
- Fourteen-year-old Sam is caught up in the Civil Rights action in 1968 Chicago. He is torn between his father's nonviolent approach and his older brother's involvement with the Black Panthers. Can these extremes be reconciled?
YA/YA PB Mull, Brandon Fablehaven
- When Kendra and Seth arrive at their grandfather's estate, they discover that magical creatures also reside there, complete
with conflicts between good and evil. The first title in the Fablehaven series.
YA/YA PB Oppel, Kenneth Airborn
- After rescuing a dying balloonist, a cabin boy aboard an airship joinjs the balloonist's granddaughter in her mission to track down the mysterious winged creatures described in her grandfather's diary. The story continues in Skybreaker and Starclimber.
YA/YA PB Osa, Nancy Cuba 15
- Preparation for Violet's quinceañera gives her more incentive to explore her Cuban heritage, but members of her family are reluctant to share some aspects of it.
92 Paulsen, Gary Guts: The True Stories Behind Hatchet and the Brian Books
- Are you a fan of Gary Paulsen's Hatchet and its follow-ups? Read the real stories that inspired them!
YA Pearson, Ridley Steel Trapp: The Challenge
- While traveling by train to a science competition, Steel becomes caught in the middle of a dangerous plot that may have terrorist connections. The story continues in Steel Trapp: The Academy
J/YA PB Sachar, Louis Holes
- Stanley Yelnats is sent to an evil detention center in the Texas desert.
YA Schmidt, Gary Okay For Now
- Nothing is going right for Doug. Friendless, bullied by his own family, and new in town, he begins to hang out in the local library, where he meets tough talking Lil Spicer. The librarian sparks Doug's interest in art and the paintings of John James Audubon. Through his new connections, Doug gradually finds a way to both stand up for himself and understand the battles everyone around him is fighting.
YA Scott, Michael The Alchemyst
- Twins Sophie and Josh find themselves in the middle of a centuries-old conflict between two alchemists over a powerful book with the secret formulas for alchemy and immortality.
732.7092 Sheinkin, Steve Lincoln's Grave Robbers
- The story of a plot hatched by some counterfeiters in 1876 to rob Abraham Lincoln's body from its grave and hold it for ransom to secure the release of their ringleader from prison.
YA/YA PB Westerfeld, Scott Leviathan
- Austrian prince Alek is on the run from the Clankers, who are trying to conquer the world with machines, and joins Deryn, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Services learning to fly a genetically engineered whale-like creature. The first in the Leviathan Adventure series.
YA Wrede, Patricia The Thirteenth Child
- In an alternate society, Eff is a thirteenth child, which is supposed to be bad luck, but when her family moves to a frontier area, she has the opportunity to use her powers to battle evil magical creatures. The first book in the The Frontier Magic series.
YA Wright, Bil When the Black Girl Sings
- Lahni struggles with being the only African-American student at a private girls' school and the impending divorce of her adoptive parents. Discovering her talent for singing helps her to deal with the issues she faces.