Revision as of 18:06, 16 September 2013
Printable versions of this booklist are available as .pdf's here.
About the Author
- Read a New York Times profile about Charles Portis, which describes his eluding of public life and his writing's characteristic deadpan humor: "Mr. Portis evokes an eccentric, absurd world with a completely straight face. As a result there are not a lot of laugh-out-loud moments or explosive set pieces here. Instead of shooting off fireworks the books shimmer with a continuous comic glow."
- A profile in the Wall Street Journal.
- An article in The Believer.
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture entry on Charles Portis.
Works by Charles Portis
- Norwood (1966)
- True Grit (1968)
- The Dog of the South (1979)
- Masters of Atlantic (1985)
- Gringos (1991)
- Escape Velocity: a Charles Portis Miscellany
- Portis contributed stories and articles for The Saturday Evening post, the Atlantic Monthly, and the New Yorker
Guns for Hire and Hardscrabble Heroes: Frontier Adventures
The Thicket, by Joe Lansdale
Rooster: the Life and Times of the real Rooster Cogburn, the Man who Inspired True Grit, by Brett Cogburn
DVDs to Watch
True Grit (John Wayne) True Grit (Coen Brothers) Rooster Cogburn Django Unchained
- The NEA's Big Read website has a Reader's Guide and more information about the book and the author.
- The Chinese in California: San Francisco's Chinatown An introduction to San Francisco's Chinatown on the Library of Congress website